In today’s episode, we cover what it means to achieve mastery of a subject or skill with Dr. Michael Gervais, a high performance psychologist working in the trenches of high-stakes environments with some of the best in the world, training the mindset skills and practices essential to pursuing and revealing one’s potential
Mastering anything takes some talent, but it also takes consistent practice and a persistent mindset, so what can you do to cultivate the mindset required for mastery, what do you need to push through the pain along the way, and how can comparing your journey to others stop you from achieving your potential?
What to Listen For
- What does it mean to achieve mastery of a skill or subject, and why can comparing our progress to others hinder our ability to achieve mastery?
- Why is it important for your mental and physical well being to live in the present moment?
- What steps can you take today to make sure you are focused on the present so you don’t get depressed about the past or anxious about the future?
- How important is your mindset if you already have talent and skill?
- How can you use self-talk to build your confidence so you feel comfortable taking on new challenges?
- What can you do to eliminate the self doubt that comes from comparing yourself to others?
- What question can you ask yourself to make sure you’re trying to get better rather than comparing your progress to others?
- How do you sort through conflicting advice on your way to mastering something?
- What can we do to let go of who we are now in order to become who we’re meant to be?
Everyone is born with varying levels of aptitude in different areas, but just because you don’t have the genetics to be the best in the world at something, it doesn’t mean you can’t strive to master it. Mastery of a skill takes time, and if you didn’t win the genetic lottery, it’s going to take years of hard work. In order to push through the pain and suffering along the way, your mindset is as critical as your purpose, because if you don’t have a purpose guiding your mindset through the pain, the pain will win.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm3-staging.uczbly1-liquidwebsites.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Resources from this Episode
Check in with AJ and Johnny!